Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Streusel Apple Cranberry Pie


Do you ever get a recipe or an idea for a recipe that you just cannot get out of your head until you make it?  That's what happened with this pie.  It is a recipe I tried about a year ago for a friend and for some reason I started thinking about it a few weeks ago - and I couldn't stop thinking about it.  When I mentioned this to my dad he kindly offered to be my taste-tester if I really felt I needed to make this pie.  What a guy! 

The recipe calls for a store bought crust, but I like to make my own.  This time I tried using half shortening and half butter and I really liked it!  It was easier to handle and roll out and I think it tasted better too! 

My parents joined us for dessert Sunday night and the pie was a hit!
Now it's off to the grocery store...I'm starting my cookie baking this week - yay!!!
Streusel Apple Cranberry Pie
(Pampered Chef, Delightful Desserts)
Topping:
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c.brown sugar
3 T. butter or margarine
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (I used Pecans)
Crust and Filling:
1/2 package refrigerated pie crust
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. dried cranberries (I used craisens)
2 tsp. orange zest
7-8 red baking apples
Preheat oven to 350 F.  For struesel topping, combine flour and brown sugar.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Stir in nuts.
For crust and filling, let pie crust stand at room temperature 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.  Add cranberries and zest.  Mix well and set aside.
Peel and slice apples, toss apples with sugar mixture until evenly coated.  Set aside.
Gently unfold crust onto floured surface.  Roll crust to 11 1/2 inch circle.  Place in pie pan and roll up the sides.  Spoon apple mixture into crust.  Sprinkle evenly with struesel topping.  Bake 50-55 minutes.  Cool at least two hours before serving.  (Tastes delicious with ice cream!)

No comments:

Post a Comment