Monday, January 25, 2010

Breakfast Strata


I know this isn't a "sweet" recipe - I wanted to post something a little different for a change.  It has been so cold and dreary here in Central Illinois for a long time now - I don't even remember the last time I've seen the sunshine.  It has been good weather for hearty, warm comfort food.   This is a delicious egg strata I made over the weekend.  (I confess I didn't know what strata meant until I looked it up in the dictionary tonight.  It means a layer of material formed one upon the other - which makes sense when you read the recipe!) It is not too difficult to throw together and it is very filling.  You can add whatever type of meat and veggies you like.  I'm a fan of Italian sausage so that's what I choose to use and you'll see my choice of veggies as you scroll down.  My little kitchen helper didn't appreciate seeing bright green and red (peppers) in his eggs but I think they add great flavor!
  


Breakfast Strata
8-9 slices, torn bread
2 c. cubed ham, bacon or sausage, cooked
1 lb shredded shedder or mozzarella cheese (I mix them together)
Mushrooms, Peppers, Onioins (optional)
8 large eggs
2 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
Butter 9x13 baking dish.  Arrange torn bread in bottom of dish.  Layer meat, cheese and veggies over the bread - in that order.  In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt; pour over the top.  Cover with foil and refrigerate 12-24 hours.  Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes with the foil on.  Uncover and bake additional 15 minutes.               


3 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen, I just popped in from The Sporadic Cook and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed my visit. (I tried my hand at breakfast casserole recently and it didn't look as nearly as gorgeous as yours:) I'm in the middle of something right now but I will be back. Bookmarked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great addition to our Saturday breakfast rotation.

    We're the opposite at my house so I could sympathize with your little helper over the peppers. My kiddos are heavy into the veggies and I'm not. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete